Sep 6, 2011

Advertainment: Kryptonite Rocks!

Rocks were apparently a thing in the '70s. I don't know this first-hand, because I was negative four in 1978, but I have heard stories of pet rocks here and there - most of them along the lines of "wait, seriously, rocks?". So, what happens when an inexplicable fad meets a seminal icon of pop culture?


Yes, friends! Kryptonite rocks! Merchandise that combines the excitement of pet rocks with the implied promise of giving Superman a slow, agonizing death! They glow in the dark! It's KRYPTONASTIC, and I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

What makes this particular ad even better is that I scanned it out of a Marvel comic, though I can no longer remember what one it was. I guess if a comic publisher would take money from the guys selling x-ray specs, they'd take it from anybody...

1 comment:

  1. I actually own a set of those rocks and the box they came in -- found them at a flea market years ago -- and they an alarming shade of green.

    ReplyDelete